CALL FOR WORK: We are soliciting submissions for March 2021. The storefront windows at JTAG are made of three 48-inch-wide panes with some horizontal supports at the top and bottom. Each artist will get one pane for viewing. Check out the work exhibited so far here.
Please email Aimee Buyea email@example.com with images and dimensions of the work. Artists can submit up to eight (8) works for selection. Please understand space is limited and our goal is to achieve a strong and cohesive presentation. In addition to the physical viewing space, the art and artists’ information will be promoted on the MBCAC websites and social media. Artists are also encouraged to promote their work and the show on their own social media channels as well since it helps us all reach a maximum audience.
• There are no fees to show.
• Each artist must have 4 pieces ready to show.
• Work should be bold, graphic, and not dependent on details as we want eye-catching work to attract attention as viewers will not be able to see the work up close.
• Pieces should be rigid as 2-D work will be displayed on easels and 3-D work will be displayed on the floor or pedestals. 2-D work should be 24-48 inches in width. 3-D work must stand alone or fit on approx. 12 inch square pedestals and be 24-48 inches wide when arranged. The MBCAC will provide easels and pedestals. Other mediums and hanging methods can be discussed as no one should feel discouraged from submitting.
• Artists will need to provide quality images of the selected work, (JPEG, TIFF or PNG. RGB format. Minumum 1200 ppi on any side)
• Work can be for sale. MBCAC will process sales and will receive a 15% commission.
• The Gallery Director will schedule a one on one appointment for monthly drop off and pick up of the work.
Please email requested information and/or questions to Gallery Director Aimee Buyea firstname.lastname@example.org
The MBCAC continues our mission to inspire and enliven the community through the arts by presenting a rotating line up of large temporary murals on the exterior wall of the Joshua Tree Art Gallery. As we reflect and shift with the daily changes and effects of COVID-19, the Morongo Basin Cultural Arts Council is committed to the health and safety of our community. During this time art has the power to connect, uplift and inspire everyone. While many residents are staying at home and reevaluating the new normal, the downtown Joshua Tree commercial strip remains active. We aim to catch the eye of a passersby and shift their current outlook to one of inspiration and intrigue. Stay positive, stay safe and continue to make and appreciate art.
We are accepting submissions for a new mural to be installed mid-August 2021 and mid November 2021. We are happy to continue and adapt this great program started by JTAG founder Frederick Fulmer. Click the links to earn more about Mural I by Other Desert, Mural II by Anna Stump and Mural III by Rose Cefalu
• Artists must be members of the MBCAC. Join here.
• Artists who have participated in the past are not eligible to apply.
• There is no fee to participate
TO APPLY PLEASE SUBMIT:
• Up to five sketches of your proposed ideas
• 3-6 examples of your past work that fits the style of your mural submissions
• What time period(s) work for your schedule
• The mural is approximately 147” wide by 73" tall with a metal frame that has a 2" border and 2 vertical bars equally space to hold and wood panels in place.
• The Gallery Director will provide three panels of pre-primed polytab material marked with boundaries. When the work in complete these sheets will have adhered to existing wood panels when installed. The MBCAC will also provide the artist with Nova Color Artists’ Acrylics 216 Exterior Satin Varnish for the final top coat to protect the work. The artist is responsible to the first coat of sealant that is compatible with the mediums used.
• The Gallery Director will provide this guide with tips for mural prepping and painting
• The murals do not have to be created with paint only. Polytab is a substrate, like canvas but stronger, that can have several kinds of mediums applied to it. Think printmaking, collage, drawing, and mixed media and more! All mediums used should be constructed of durable materials that are able to withstand harsh conditions including high winds, extreme temperatures and any external force caused by humans. The artist must comply with all appropriate requirements for safety.
• The Gallery Director will install the finished piece. The artist can be present for installation is desired.
• The polytab material is versatile and after exhibition the finished material can be attached to stretchers, framed or presented by other display methods.
• The MBCAC is not responsible for any damage to the work. We recommend that the artist procure some form of liability insurance in the event of damage, theft or injury to a third party.
SALE OF ARTWORK:
• Artwork can be sold, but not removed until the 3 month contract is complete.
• After the contract is complete the work will be returned to the artist for their own use.
• The MBCAC will withhold a commission of 15 percent if the work is sold during the exhibit.
Please email requested information and/or questions to Gallery Director Aimee Buyea email@example.com by January 20th. Submissions will be reviewed by the art committee
Mural by otherdesert. On view August 15 – November 19, 2020
Mural II by Anna Stump. On view November 19 2020 – February 15, 2021
General Exhibition Requests: For the time being we have suspended all regular gallery programing. Please read our exhibiton guildlines for reference. For solo and group exhibitions curated by the artists JTAG asks for a fee of $1200 for the month, this can be divided amongst the artists participating in the exhibition. JTAG receives a 15% commission on sales. You do not have to be a member of the MBCAC. This space is autonomous with the artists taking the lead on organizing the exhibition with assistance from the Gallery Director.
Please send us an exhibition proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes: your name, phone number, e-mail, brief bio, website, dates requested and up to 6 JPEGS that are representative of your work.