JTAG EXPO 2021
On view: Saturday, June 12 to Saturday, July 31, 2021
OPENING RECEPTION: Saturday, June 12, 5 to 8 pm
JTAG Expo is an invitational exhibition open to a variety of artists in a variety of mediums. The audience gets to take part in this exhibition by voting for their favorite artworks! Voting for the people’s choice award begins at 10am on June 12 and continues through 7:30 pm. Votes are $1 each. Cash awards will be handed out for first, second, and third-place winners. Interested in participating? Please review the guidelines HERE.
General Exhibition Requests: For solo and group exhibitions curated by the artists JTAG asks for a fee of $1200 for the month, this can be divided amongst the artists participating in the exhibition. JTAG receives a 15% commission on sales. You do not have to be a member of the MBCAC. This space is autonomous with the artists taking the lead on organizing the exhibition with assistance from the Gallery Director.
Please send us an exhibition proposal to email@example.com that includes: your name, phone number, e-mail, brief bio, website, dates requested and up to 6 JPEGS that are representative of your work.
The MBCAC continues our mission to inspire and enliven the community through the arts by presenting a rotating line up of large temporary murals on the exterior wall of the Joshua Tree Art Gallery. As we reflect and shift with the daily changes and effects of COVID-19, the Morongo Basin Cultural Arts Council understands that art has the power to connect, uplift and inspire everyone. While many residents are reevaluating the new normal, the downtown Joshua Tree commercial strip remains active. We aim to catch the eye of a passersby and shift their current outlook to one of inspiration and intrigue. Stay positive, stay safe and continue to make and appreciate art.
We are accepting submissions for a new mural to be installed mid-August 2021 and mid November 2021. We are happy to continue and adapt this great program started by JTAG founder Frederick Fulmer. Click the links to earn more about Mural I by Other Desert, Mural II by Anna Stump, Mural III by Rose Cefalu and Mural IV by Kate McCabe.
• Artists must be members of the MBCAC. Join here.
• Artists who have participated in the past are not eligible to re-apply.
• There is no fee to participate
TO APPLY PLEASE SUBMIT:
• Up to five sketches of your proposed ideas
• 3-6 examples of your past work that fits the style of your mural submissions
• What time period(s) work for your schedule
• The mural is approximately 147” wide by 73" tall with a metal frame that has a 2" border and 2 vertical bars equally space to hold and wood panels in place.
• The Gallery Director will provide three panels of pre-primed polytab material marked with boundaries. When the work in complete these sheets will have adhered to existing wood panels when installed. The MBCAC will also provide the artist with Nova Color Artists' Acrylics 216 Exterior Satin Varnish for the final top coat to protect the work. The artist is responsible to the first coat of sealant that is compatible with the mediums used.
• The Gallery Director will provide this guide with tips for mural prepping and painting
• The murals do not have to be created with paint only. Polytab is a substrate, like canvas but stronger, that can have several kinds of mediums applied to it. Think printmaking, collage, drawing, and mixed media and more! All mediums used should be constructed of durable materials that are able to withstand harsh conditions including high winds, extreme temperatures and any external force caused by humans. The artist must comply with all appropriate requirements for safety.
• The Gallery Director will install the finished piece. The artist can be present for installation is desired.
• The polytab material is versatile and after exhibition the finished material can be attached to stretchers, framed or presented by other display methods.
• The MBCAC is not responsible for any damage to the work. We recommend that the artist procure some form of liability insurance in the event of damage, theft or injury to a third party.
SALE OF ARTWORK:
• Artwork can be sold, but not removed until the 3 month contract is complete.
• After the contract is complete the work will be returned to the artist for their own use.
• The MBCAC will withhold a commission of 15 percent if the work is sold during the exhibit.
Please email requested information and/or questions to Gallery Director Aimee Buyea firstname.lastname@example.org If you are interested in being a muralist for November 2021, submissions are due by July 21 and the artist will be selected by August 1st.
Mural by otherdesert. On view August 15 – November 19, 2020
Mural II by Anna Stump. On view November 19 2020 – February 15, 2021
Mural IV by Kate McCabe On view May 19 - August 15, 2021