General Exhibition Requests:
The fee is $1200 for the month, this can be divided amongst artists participating in the exhibition. JTAG receives a 15% commission on sales. You do not have to be a member of the MBCAC. This space is autonomous with the artists taking the lead on organizing the exhibition with assistance from the Gallery Director. JTAG is currently available December 2020, January 2021 and February 2021.
Please send us an exhibition proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes: your name, phone number, e-mail, brief bio, website, dates requested and up to 6 JPEGS that are representative of your work.
The MBCAC continues our mission to inspire and enliven the community through the arts by presenting a rotating line up of large temporary murals on the exterior wall of the Joshua Tree Art Gallery. For our first round, we feature @otherdesert, who created a poignant three-panel black and white painting empowering the right to vote. Here are some wise words from the artist: “This may be the most important election of our lifetime!" is often said, and for once, the hyperbole is warranted. To vote is a deeply personal choice and a right for many. To not vote? Is also a right for many, regardless of the reason, and is the core message of this mural: Do with your vote what you will, because nobody should tell you otherwise. However you decide though, your choice still has consequences and power.” Learn more about @otherdesert‘s mural here.
As we reflect and shift with the daily changes and effects of COVID-19, the Morongo Basin Cultural Arts Council is committed to the health and safety of our community. During this time art has the power to connect, uplift and inspire everyone. While many residents are staying at home and reevaluating the new normal, the downtown Joshua Tree commercial strip remains active. We aim to catch the eye of a passersby and shift their current outlook to one of inspiration and intrigue. Stay positive, stay safe and continue to make and appreciate art.
We are accepting submissions for a new mural to be installed mid-November 2020, mid-February 2021, mid-May 2021 and mid-August 2021. We are happy to continue and adapt this great program started by JTAG founder Frederick Fulmer.
• Artists must be members of the MBCAC. Join here.
• Artists who have participated in the past are not eligible to apply.
• There is no fee to participate
TO APPLY PLEASE SUBMIT:
• Up to five sketches of your proposed ideas
• 3-6 examples of your past work that fits the style of your mural submissions
• What time period(s) work for your schedule
• The mural is approximately 147” wide by 73" tall with a metal frame that has a 2" border and 2 vertical bars equally space to hold and wood panels in place.
• The Gallery Director will provide three panels of pre-primed polytab material marked with boundaries. When the work in complete these sheets will have adhered to existing wood panels when installed. The MBCAC will also provide the artist with Nova Color Artists’ Acrylics 216 Exterior Satin Varnish for the final top coat to protect the work. The artist is responsible to the first coat of sealant that is compatible with the mediums used.
• The Gallery Director will provide this guide with tips for mural prepping and painting
• The murals do not have to be created with paint only as polytab is a substrate, like canvas but stronger, that can have several kinds of mediums applied to. Think printmaking, collage, drawing, and mixed media and more! All mediums used should be constructed of durable materials that are able to withstand harsh conditions including high winds, extreme temperatures and any external force caused by humans. The artist must comply with all appropriate requirements for safety.
• The Gallery Director and the artist will work together to hang the completed piece.
• The polytab material is versatile and after exhibition the finished material can be attached to stretchers, framed or presented by other display methods.
• The MBCAC is not responsible for any damage to the work. We recommend that the artist procure some form of liability insurance in the event of damage, theft or injury to a third party.
SALE OF ARTWORK:
• Artwork can be sold, but not removed until the 3 month contract is complete.
• After the contract is complete the work will be returned to the artist for their own use.
• The MBCAC will withhold a commission of 15 percent if the work is sold during the exhibit.
Please email requested information and/or questions to Gallery Director Aimee Buyea email@example.com by October 1st. Submissions will be reviewd by the art committee